I came across an oil and gas company earlier this year that had acquired an old oil rig for 1bn Euro to get from oil and gas exploration into production. They gave themselves 12 months to get it live, which meant they also had to roll out 125+ IT applications including SAP in less than 12 months. Not only did they achieve this, but they are now doing it again in only 6 months for a new 1bn Euro acquisition!
How can you fast track the implementation of Enterprise IT? Below are some recommendations.
Buy products, not projects.
- Keep it simple and smart
- Prioritize progress over perfection
- Go for out-of-the box solutions over extensive configuration
- Go for standard connectors over custom integration
- Go for cloud subscription over on-premise installations.
Implement first, optimize later.
- Try to replace the success metrics from time, cost, and features, to value, capacity, and time-to-market metrics
- Link payments to deliverables, not number of days.
You should also check out my previous post about replacing the traditional procurement process.