Eliminating Paper from Processes Improves Customer Response Times by 300%
Today we released a new industry watch research paper, titled “The Paper Free Office - Dream or Reality.” The research finds that removing paper from business continues to be challenging, despite data that shows significant responsiveness and productivity gains in customer service when paper-based bottlenecks are eliminated from business processes.
Speed of response times is also realized by employees working remotely in the field or home offices when the ability to share and search is improved by using digitized content. According to Doug Miles, director of market intelligence at AIIM, “The earlier in the process that capture takes place, the better the transparency and availability the content will have. The data is available to the process faster, and paper forms handling is eliminated.”
Key findings of the research conducted between November 2011 and January 2012 show:
- Paper is beginning to disappear, with 35 percent of respondents confirmed less paper consumption and photocopying.
- 42 percent of scanning and capture projects achieved a payback period of 12 months or less, while 57 percent of projects achieved payback in 18 months or less.
- Mobile and cloud services for scanning and capture are finding early adopters in the enterprise.
- 38 percent of respondents are equipping employees with portable capture devices when not in the office, including portable scanners, smartphones, and tablets.
- 20 percent of the largest organizations are committed to a cloud deployment strategy for capture.
- Scanning and capture can seriously improve customer response times - typically between 2 and 3 times faster but in many cases 5 and 10 times faster.
Despite significant benefits realized by paper-free organizations, some poor habits persist:
- 77 percent of invoices that arrive as PDF attachments are printed, while 31percent of fax invoices are printed and then re-scanned.
- 45 percent of documents that are scanned were completely “born digital.”
- 32 percent of organizations reported an increase in the level of paper consumption and copying.
About John Mancini
John Mancini is the President of Content Results, LLC and the Past President of AIIM. He is a well-known author, speaker, and advisor on information management, digital transformation and intelligent automation. John is a frequent keynote speaker and author of more than 30 eBooks on a variety of topics. He can be found on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook as jmancini77. Recent keynote topics include: The Stairway to Digital Transformation Navigating Disruptive Waters — 4 Things You Need to Know to Build Your Digital Transformation Strategy Getting Ahead of the Digital Transformation Curve Viewing Information Management Through a New Lens Digital Disruption: 6 Strategies to Avoid Being “Blockbustered” Specialties: Keynote speaker and writer on AI, RPA, intelligent Information Management, Intelligent Automation and Digital Transformation. Consensus-building with Boards to create strategic focus, action, and accountability. Extensive public speaking and public relations work Conversant and experienced in major technology issues and trends. Expert on inbound and content marketing, particularly in an association environment and on the Hubspot platform. John is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the College of William and Mary, and holds an M.A. in Public Policy from the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University.